From GPLv3 Wiki
This list will influence the GNU project's license list.
These licenses are compatible with the GNU GPL version 2.
- Berkeley Database License (aka the Sleepycat Software Product License)
- Boost Software License
- CeCILL version 2
- Clarified Artistic License
- Cryptix General License
- EU DataGrid Software License
- Eiffel Forum License, version 2
- Expat License
- Intel Open Source License (as published by OSI)
- License of Guile
- License of Perl
- License of Python 1.6a2 and earlier versions
- License of Python 2.0.1, 2.1.1, and newer versions
- License of Vim, version 6.1 or later
- License of ZLib
- License of the iMatix Standard Function Library
- License of the run-time units of the GNU Ada compiler
- Modified BSD license
- OpenLDAP License, version 2.7
- Public Domain
- Standard ML of New Jersey Copyright License
- The license of Ruby
- W3C Software Notice and License
- X11 License
- Zope Public License, version 2.0
- eCos license, version 2.0
These licenses are incompatible with the GNU GPL version 2.
- Academic Free License, version 1.1.
- Academic Free License, version 2.1.
- Affero General Public License, version 1.0
- Apache License, version 1.0
- Apache License, version 1.1
- Apache Software License, version 2.0
- Apple Public Source License, version 2
- Common Development and Distribution License
- Common Public License, version 1.0
- Eclipse Public License, version 1.0
- GNU Free Documentation License, version 1.2
- IBM Public License, version 1.0
- Interbase Public License, version 1.0
- Jabber Open Source License, version 1.0
- LaTeX Project Public License 1.2
- LaTeX Project Public License 1.3a
- License of Python 1.6b1 and later versions, through 2.0 and 2.1
- License of xinetd
- Lucent Public License version 1.02 (Plan 9 license)
- Mozilla Public License
- Netizen Open Source License, version 1.0
- Netscape Public License
- Nokia Open Source License
- Old OpenLDAP License, version 2.3
- Open Software License, version 1.0
- OpenSSL license
- Original BSD license
- PHP license, version 3.01
- Phorum License, version 2.0
- Q Public License, version 1.0
- Sun Industry Standards Source License 1.0
- Sun Public License
- The Condor Public License
- XFree86 1.1 License
- Zend License, version 2.0
- Zope Public License, version 1
These licenses are compatible with the GNU GPL version 3.
These licenses are incompatible with the GNU GPL version 3.
- GNU General Public License version 2 Most software distributed under the GPLv2 allows for the software to be distributed under later versions of the GPL. For specific instances, read the license notices for the software package.
Common reasons for incompatibility
When checking licenses for compatibility, here are some specific issues to look for that would make a license incompatible with GPLv3 (as of draft 2).
- Requirements about attorney fees
- Waiver of the right to trial by jury
- Jurisdiction requirements (disputes must be settled in a certain country or in accordance with the laws of a certain country)